- May 6, 2019 - May 7, 2019
IFSTA 2nd Edition Hazardous Materials Technician
This course provides emergency response personnel with the information and skills needed to recognize, evaluate, and control an incident involving the release or potential release of hazardous materials. It is intended for members of hazardous materials response teams.
The focus of the course is on recognizing and evaluating a hazardous materials incident, organizing the response team, protecting response personnel, identifying and using response resources, implementing basic control measures, refining decision-making skills, and protecting the environment and public. Fire suppression techniques are not part of the course.
Topics that are discussed include chemical and physical properties of hazardous materials, ICS, strategy and tactics, recognition and identification of hazardous materials, direct-reading instruments, toxicology, personnel protection and safety, decontamination and sources of information.
Instructional methods used are lectures, class problem-solving sessions, and exercises. Emphasis is on the hands-on use of equipment to practically apply lecture information. Class members will participate in two simulations designed to apply and test the lessons learned during the week. Participants will wear fully encapsulating suits and chemical splash gear. Individuals who are not participating in a medical surveillance program should consult their physician prior to attending this course.
After completing the course, participants will be able to:
- Select the appropriate personal protective equipment for responding to an incident involving hazardous materials
- Use of combustible gas detectors, oxygen meters, and detector tubes to evaluate the hazards present at a hazardous materials incident
- Use of confinement and containment techniques to control the release of a hazardous material
- Identify the importance of an incident command system for effectively managing an incident involving hazardous materials
- Develop procedures for the decontamination of emergency response personnel
- Use of size-up techniques to develop strategies and select the appropriate tactics for mitigating hazardous materials incidents
|Course Hours:||40 Hours|
|IFSAC Certification Testing:||None Available|
|Equipment/Materials Needed for this Class:||Appropriate PPE to complete class.
IFSTA Hazardous Materials Technician, 2nd Edition
|Prerequisites:||Recommended that each student complete Awareness and Operations prior to attendance|
|Course Dates:||May 6-10, 2019 (Mon-Fri)|
|Class Times:||8:00am – 5:00pm CST|
$300 for Kentucky Firefighters
All fees must be paid in full on last day of class to receive a course completion certificate.
|Cancellation Policy:||50% Charge if not notified 72 hours in advance|